I want to introduce you to one of my absolute favourite oils – Copaiba!
What Is Copaiba Oil?
Copaiba essential oil is an incredibly versatile and unique oil with a multitude of health benefits. This miracle worker comes from the natural oil produced by 30 metre tall copaiba trees deep within the Amazon Rainforest. Long before any of us were on this planet, Amazonian natives would use this oil in their remedies to relieve pain, reduce stress and aid as an antibacterial for ailments.
Unfortunately, somewhere along the way we have forgotten to trust ancient wisdom and we have become completely disconnected from the healing powers of Mother Nature. We have become all too consumed with evidenced-based practice (which I believe is totally required and has its place), but these days – unless we have hard science proving something to be true we discard it until we know otherwise. Fortunately, science is now catching up with what humans have intuitively known for centuries – copaiba oil is incredibly healing.
Watch how doTERRA sources copaiba oil (skip to 3.20minutes if you want to get a quick snapshot!).
What makes copaiba oil so unique is that it interacts directly with our endocannabinoid system in our body. I’m sure you are probably familiar with some of the other major body systems including the digestive, muscular, nervous, respiratory and reproductive systems. But you probably have never heard the endocannabinoid system!? Don’t worry! Neither had I! Sit down, get comfy and grab a cuppa, and let me tell you all about it…..
What Is The Endocannabinoid System?
The endocannabinoid system is a major neuromodulatory system in the body that helps to regulate homeostasis and maintain balance within our bodies. If the endocannabinoid system is disrupted or interrupted we can fall out of balance. It helps to regulate:
- Immune function
- Appetite, hunger, digestion
What Activates The Endocannabinoid System?
Before we dive into what activates the endocannabinoid system, we need to become familiar with the two main types of cannabinoid receptors, CB1 and CB2.
CB1 receptors are abundant in the body’s central nervous system and activation of these receptors influences memory processing and pain regulation. The activation of the CB1 receptor induces psychoactive effects such as paranoia and memory impairment. Not ideal!
CB2 receptors are found usually in the immune, endocrine and peripheral nervous system. Activation of these receptors supports the function of the system, regulates inflammation and supports a calm and regulated nervous system.
Ok, so there are 3 main types of cannabinoids which activate the endocannabinoid system via the CB1 and CB2 receptors – THC, CBD and BCP.
THC -TetraHydroCannabinol is a compound found within the cannabis plant family including hemp and marijuana, with much higher concentrations found in marijuana. THC binds directly to the CB1 receptor and therefore produces psychoactive effects. That’s why when people smoke marijuana it gives them that feeling of being ‘high’ or ‘stoned’. It’s certainly not a suitable intervention for children despite its anti-inflammatory benefits! So let’s rule THC out as a safe way to activate the endocannabinoid system.
CBD – CannaBiDiol is also a compound found naturally in cannabis plants and has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Hemp oil has a slightly higher concentration of CBD than marijuana. While it has been linked to pain relief, treating seizures and supporting other neurological issues it has little binding affinity with the CB1 and CB2 receptor sites.
BCP – Beta-CaryoPhyllene on the other hand, is a cannabinoid found in very high levels in doTERRA’s copaiba oil. Copaiba contains a whopping 55% BCP and interacts DIRECTLY with the CB2 receptors. It’s been shown that the activation of the CB2 receptor has the potential therapeutic efficacy to improve functional deficits in neurodegenerative diseases and reduce the effect of oxidative stress and neuroinflammation. (1)
Also, because it doesn’t bind to CB1 – it gives you all the benefits of supporting a healthy nervous and immune system with no psychoactive effects. Hallelujah!
Let’s Recap – What Makes doTERRA’s Copaiba Oil So Darn Good?
- It is neuroprotective; it protects the brain. (2)
- It hasanti-inflammatory (3)and antioxidant properties. (1)
- It supports immune functionand supports a calm and regulated nervous system.
- 100% free of THC – the mind altering component of hemp and marijuana.
- 100%legal and safe.
- Super affordable. Only 20 cents per drop!
- No damaging side effectsto our children’s health.
- Each batch of doTERRA essential oil goes through rigorous tests to ensure you and your family receive only the most pure, potent, and effective oils on earth!
How Can doTERRA Copaiba Oil Be Used?
Copaiba oil can be used topically, ingested or inhaled. Internal use is probably the most potent way to use essential oils and therefore I would not recommend this method for young children. However, if your child is now an adult, this can be a very effective and safe way for the oil to enter the body and work its magic.
Topical application is super effective. When copaiba oil is diluted in a carrier oil (I use fractionated coconut oil) and rubbed into the skin it is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream initiating a systemic effect throughout the entire body. I recommend placing the diluted copaiba oil on the soles of your child’s feet – as the feet are literally a highway to the bloodstream. Application through massage into the feet is also great for the kids who are over responsive to smells. It’s also a great accompaniment to an epsom salt bath.
Copaiba oil can also be diffused to omit the earthy smelling oil into the air to create a sense of calmness.
How To Start Your doTERRA Journey
I am a Wellness Advocate for doTERRA and when you place an order through me I provide FREE ONGOING SUPPORT to guide you on your journey!
You can find more information about why I solely use doTERRA oils and how to get some for yourself by clicking here. I speak truthfully in saying you will not regret making the switch to a healthier safer choice for your children by choosing doTERRA essential oils.
- Cannabinoid Type 2 (CB2) Receptors Activation Protects against Oxidative Stress and Neuroinflammation Associated Dopaminergic Neurodegeneration in Rotenone Model of Parkinson’s Disease.
- Copaiba Oil-Resin Treatment Is Neuroprotective and Reduces Neutrophil Recruitment and Microglia Activation after Motor Cortex Excitotoxic Injury.
- Chemical composition and anti-inflammatory activity of copaiba oils from Copaifera cearensis Huber ex Ducke, Copaifera reticulata Ducke and Copaifera multijuga Hayne–a comparative study.
- The Endocannabinoid System and Autism Spectrum Disorders: Insights from Animal Models.
- Application of the essential oil from copaiba (Copaifera langsdori Desf.) for acne vulgaris: a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.
- Cannabinoids in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A randomised-controlled trial.
- Antinociceptive activity of Amazonian Copaiba oils.
- Neuropsychobiological Evidence for the Functional Presence and Expression of Cannabinoid CB2 Receptors in the Brain.
- The Endocannabinoid System and Neurogenesis in Health and Disease.